Thursday, November 24, 2011

True Love

My daughter is getting married in two weeks. Yikes! Naturally I have weddings on my mind.

So tonight I was out with my husband and bought a copy of "High Society." I love this old movie. It has so many movie stars including Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, and Frank Sinatra. I have memories as a child of watching this movie on "The Late Late Show." My father would make me laugh with his impersonation of Bing Crosby and he would sing along with the songs.




The movie may seem silly but it does have some deeper insight into the complexity of love and life. Like the pain of divorce, the high cost of living, and the expectations a couple put on each other.

The movie is a musical version of "The Philadelphia Story." The songs were written by Cole Porter. The song True Love was a big hit when soon after the release of the movie Grace Kelly got married and became a princess.

There are a lot of wedding themed movies but tonight watching High Society was pure joy. It filled me up with emotions for my father and his generation. At the same time the joy I feel over my daughter's wedding. And the true love I have for them both.

http://youtu.be/PAO8vlvPS88

No comments: