Monday, May 16, 2011

My mother's ring

The Artbeads.com project this season is "What’s Old is New Again."  I knew immediately what I wanted to do. I always wanted to reuse an old ring that belonged to my mother. I never remember her wearing it so it was not a sentimental piece of jewelry. It has beautiful open filigree work around the stone so I knew it would be easy enough to attach to something else. Still when the time came to cut the ring I was a little hesitant. But I overcame my doubt and went forward with my plan.

I cut the band off and filed the edges smooth. It was already oxidized but I needed to antique my sterling wire and jump rings next.









The ring looks to me like a purple fluorite stone in a sterling filigree setting. But amethyst stones matched it perfectly. So I wire wrapped tiny amethyst beads to the ring and added a strand of lovely lavender colored pearls. The color is so pale they are almost silver colored but very pretty. The pearls are top drilled and are interesting enough on their own without any other beads.


I intended to use black finished TierraCast pewter beads and Swarovski crystals. But it didn't seem to work out as I planned so I used them in a coordinating bracelet. The design on these pewter beads are beautitul and the black finish is wonderful for vintage designs.




Instead I added an amethyst briolette to the bottom of the ring. I was worried the briolette was too large and would take attention away from the ring. But it didn't. It complimented the ring perfectly.. but now I have to stop calling it a ring. Since it's new again as a necklace! And most of all I think my mother would like it.
Many thanks to Artbeads!

Disclosure: I received some of the products from Artbeads free of charge, I have not been paid for endorsements of the products, and I am reviewing the products honestly.

2 comments:

Regina said...

Wow! that has all come together so well, you have done a fabulous job. I know your mother would have loved it!

Darlene said...

Thanks, Regina