Sunday, October 10, 2010

Asymmetrical Jewelry

Asymmetrical designs are something that I almost only see with handmade jewelry makers.
I have never opened an Avon book and seen an asymmetrical necklace. And I was looking at the jewelry counter at Target last night and none there either.
So yes asymmetrical jewelry is unique. But it is .. nice? I have a hard time liking asymmetrical to be honest. Sometimes it seems like some pieces are not just asymmetrical but off balance. Despite this asymmetrical jewelry is very popular on Etsy.

I  remember watching a show on beauty. What is it exactly? Who has it and why? Science has proven that people determine beauty by the balance and proportions of the human face.

wpeC.jpg (22483 bytes)
sym*me*try (noun), plural -tries
[Latin symmetria, from Greek, from symmetros symmetrical, from syn- + metron measure -- First appeared 1541

1 : balanced proportions; also : beauty of form arising from balanced proportions

2 : the property of being symmetrical; especially : correspondence in size, shape, and relative position of parts on opposite sides of a dividing line or median plane or about a center or axis

So likewise wouldn't beautiful jewelry need to have balance and symmetry? I think so but that doesn't stop me from trying to make asymmetrical jewelry. It can be difficult but yes asymmetrical can be pretty or a least interesting. And maybe interesting is even better than pretty.

1 comment:

Noemi said...

Hi Darlene,

Thank you for become one of my followers!!
I hope you enjoy as you read the things I have to say ;)
As you probably know I am quite new on all of this, so bear with me.
Just to say that I have lived in Ireland for a while and I loved it. Love the culture, the people and the jewellery. In fact I brought quite few pieces with me.

Best of luck.
Noemi