Friday, March 05, 2010

No Big Apple Feis for me

I started with a new Irish dance school a year ago in March of 2009. When a dancer changes to a new school it is a rule that you are banned from competition for 6 months. There aren't a lot of opportunities for adults to compete so I was really hoping to go to the Big Apple Feis. But considering the cost of the hotel and other expenses it wasn't worth it since only one other dancer was registered in my level. I guess I could go just for the fun of it. But in Irish dance five dancers are required for it to be considered a fair competition.
I know Irish dance has lost a lot of appeal since the River Dance phenomenom has slowed down. But the amount of adult Irish dancers really has me concerned for the future of Irish dance.
So why don't adults dance?
People in Irish dance have a lot of opinions on this but for me I really believe it comes down to the schools view of adults. I wish every Irish dance school included adults. Right now it is the exception not the rule. And until it is the norm adults will always be uncomfortable taking classes. I hope there will be a time when adults in a dance class will be as common as adults at a gym. Both are a great workout but Irish dance is so much more!

3 comments:

Lorelei said...

I know when I was taking my yoga classes at the dance school it was always full of 5-16 yr olds (the school, not the yoga class). The only adults there were the instructors and the parents (and those of us in yoga!). The only dance classes that seem "acceptable" to adults are ballroom. I've never seen Irish dance. I'll have to do a YouTube search. Sorry you didn't get to compete!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.