Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Gothic Jewelry

Of or relating to painting, sculpture, or other art forms prevalent
in northern Europe from the 12th through the 15th century. or relating to a style of fiction that emphasizes the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate


This is a definition of Gothic from the dictionary. The Gothic style in today's culture is somewhat but not entirely different.

I am past the age that the Gothic style first started in our culture. In spite of that I have a strange fascination with the Goth trend. I think it is because it is part romance, part history, and part mysterious. Also, I think people have a need to express the sad side of their personality. Romantic and pretty jewelry can sometimes be too quaint. But it can became something very different if it becomes dark and Gothic.

This can be a very subtle yet noticeable difference. Not only in jewelry but music as well. I don't mean commercialized Gothic music though. For example, I am a big fan of an Irish musician, Winifred Horan. Sometimes Irish fiddle music can be too traditional and quaint. But with her the music becomes very dark, serious, and hypnotic. Her music captures so much emotion and deep sadness that the only way I can describe her style is Gothic.
I am sure my interpretation is very different from many others. But even within the Gothic culture there are different genres and Celtic is one of them. The dark, sad side of our personality emerges no matter how hard we may try to suppress it so we may as well have fun with it.

No comments: